Motto in English
|loyalty, sincerity, integrity and respect|
|Location||Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China|
In 1996, it was included in the state's Project 211 for development of key universities. It is a university administered by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and the Chinese Ministry of Education.
University NameThe name "Ji-Nan" (also Chi-Nan "reaching southward") comes from 'The Classic of History' (Chinese: 書經/书经; Pinyin: Shūjīng; ) which is a compilation of documentary records related to events in ancient history of China. The articles reads, "His speech and teachings spread from north to south, until they reached the four corners of the world." Thus the name "Jinan" conveys the school's mission: to spread Chinese culture and learning from North to South, from China to the rest of the world.
- 1906 - Jinan Academy, the predecessor of Jinan University was established in Nanjin.
- 1918 - Jinan Academy moved to Shanghai.
- 1927 - Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University.
- 1941-1946 - Jinan University moved to Fujian Province during the World War II.
- 1949 - Jinan National University was merged into Fudan University and Jiaotong University.
- 1958 - Jinan University was re-established in Guangzhou.
- 1983 - Jinan University pioneered in the country the implementation of credit system.
- 1996 - Jinan University passed the pre-examination of “211 program” related department and was put into “the top 100 normal universities” list, which would get prior construction in twenty-first century.
- 2001 - College of Journalism and Communication, College of Information Science and Technology, College of Foreign Studies, Pharmacy College, Law School and International School were established.
- 2002 - Jinan University started to launch EMBA Program with approval from the Degree Administration Office of the State Council. As one of the first group of universities.
- 2006 - The celebration ceremony of the 100th Anniversary of Jinan University was held.
- 2011 - The Graduate School of Jinan University was established.
- 2014 - The new campus was established in Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center.
Location and Campus
- Main campus, Tianhe District, Guangzhou
- College of Chinese language and culture, Guangzhou
- new campus, Guangzhou (Completed in 2014)
- Zhuhai Campus, Zhuhai
- Tourism College, Shenzhen
AdministrationJinan University has 27 colleges, comprising 59 departments and offering 89 undergraduate major fields. Among the 55 departments, 43 departments offer master degree programs and 19 departments offer Ph.D degree granting programs. There are 15 postdoctoral research stations, 182 research institutes and 77 labs in Jinan University. The university has four national key disciplines, eight key disciplines of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, 20 Guangdong Province Level-I key disciplines, and four Guangdong Province Level-II key disciplines. The university also has a key research base of national humanity and social sciences, a teaching and research base for Chinese language and literature of the Education Ministry, a base for national university cultural quality education, a base of national base for teaching Chinese as a foreign language, an educational base for overseas Chinese education of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and a key research base of humanity and social science of Guangdong Province. Still, the university has one national engineering center, 7 ministerial centers (engineering centers of the Ministry of Education) and provincial centers, and 11 key ministerial and provincial key laboratories. There are 50,535 students in the university, including 10,767 graduates and 22,527 undergraduates. The number of overseas students, including foreign students, overseas Chinese students, students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, is 13,512.
The current president of the university is Dr. Hu Jun. It has recently started a new undergraduate course MBBS, with indian students mainly.
- One of the oldest universities in China and one of the “211” key national universities in China
- The first university in China to recruit foreign students
- The first university in China to enroll students at both spring and autumn semesters
- The first university that pioneered the implementation of credit system in China
- The university with the largest number of overseas students
- The only university which have alumni in both Chinese and foreign state-level leaders in China
CooperationJinan University has been active at academic exchanges, and has established academic cooperation or academic exchange liaison with more than 180 universities and research institutes in Asia, America, Europe, and Oceania.
Now the university has 57 regional alumni associations all over the world.
Colleges and schools
- International School
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Foreign Studies
- College of Journalism and Communication
- College of Arts
- College of Economics
- Management School
- Law school
- Department of international studies
- College of Intellectual Property
- College of Science and Engineering
- College of Information Science and Technology
- College of Life Science and Technology
- Medical school
- The First Clinical Medical School
- The Second Clinical Medical School
- Pharmacy College
- College of Chinese Language and Culture
- School of Humanities
- School of Translation Studies
- International Business School
- College of Electrical & Information
- Shenzhen Tourism College of Jinan University
- Education College
Management SchoolBase on JNU humanity tradition and accumulation of disciplines, School of Management tries the best to be one of top business schools in China for cultivating talents in management, it has deep understanding in Chinese culture, globalization with modern business education.
In 2011, Jinan University MBA programs were granted international accreditation of AMBA.
College of Chinese Language and CultureThe College was conferred as the "National Base of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language" by The Education Ministry, and "Overseas Chinese Education Base" by Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council. The College has become the top college in South China offering the programs of teaching Chinese as a second or foreign language and overseas Chinese education.
The college consists of the Department of Teaching Chinese as a Second or Foreign Language, the Department of Overseas Chinese Education, the Department of Applied Linguistics, Pre-University Department, Correspondence Course Department, Overseas Chinese Education Researching Institute, Overseas Chinese Researching Center, and Internet & Educational Technology Center.
- Wu Xueqian, was the former Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China.
- Li Lanqing, is a prominent Chinese politician.
- Jack C. K. Teng, was a Chinese educator, writer, politician, diplomat and Olympic pioneer.
- Lee Kong Chian, was a prominent Chinese businessman and philanthropist active in Malaya and Singapore from the 1930s to the 1960s.
- Huang Binhong, was a Chinese art historian and literati painter born in Jinhua in Zhejiang province.
- Cheng Yiu-tong, politician of Hong Kong.
- Zhang Tielin, Chinese actor and film director, dean of the art school of Jinan University.
- Su Bingtian, is a Chinese track and field athlete who competes in sprints.
- Lau Cheok Va, the President of the Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Kwan Tsui Hang, is a member of the Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Ho Iat Seng, is a member of Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Wong Kwok-hing, is a Hong Kong trade unionist and a member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong.